#TeamRhino #SaveTheRhino #SaveFive

Raising Awareness to protect our #WildLife, Please take the pledge: I would like to join #TeamRhinodotorg in the fight against rhino poaching to ensure a future for people and vulnerable wildlife on our planet: I will never buy or promote any products made of rhino horn, as I know that demand drives poaching. I will be a committed advocate to support rangers and others on the frontlines of rhino conservation. I will share my passion about rhino conservation and recruit my friends and family to become involved. I will urge my government to continue championing efforts to stop rhino poaching at home and abroad. I will stand with IRF to help save rhinos from extinction. teamrhino.org

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Exposure Is Key 2016

My grandson and i, were preparing for a visit to Mander Playground to learn about Container Gardening. i introduced our activity by saying that we are going to a class in the park to learn about plants and flowers. His reaction: " I DON'T WANT TO LEARN ABOUT FLOWERS." i say "do you like butterflies?" he says "yes, and bees like flowers they make honey from flowers." i said "no, they get pollen from flowers and help other flowers and food sources grow. They are pollinators. We are going to learn about Native plants, do you know what native means?" he said "no". i said "native means where you are from." He thought about that, i then asked "where are you from ?" and he said "north philadelphia." i said "yes," he said "i was right," i said "yes!!" then i mentioned that being from north philadelphia means that you are native of north philadelphia and so are the plants. He reaches for our book "Wonderful Worms" by Linda Glaser (which we got for free from the parent community resource room School District of Philadelphia), and we discuss how the worms help our flowers and food grow underground and bees and butterflies help above ground.

We then view the brochure for the event. He says "he likes the humming bird" and i explain that the humming bird is a pollinator also!! Now we have to explore why the bird is called a humming bird!!

To learn more about Audubon Pennsylvania:

Rhyan Grech
Program Manager, Community Stewardship
Audubon Pennsylvania
503-250-3020 (cell)

Like Birds? Like us on Facebook!

Learning tools:


At the end of our conversation i ask "what is a pollinator" he replies " I don't know". i smiled repeat that pollinators help flowers and food grow. Family gardening, Seed planted!!


No comments:

Post a Comment