#TeamRhino #SaveTheRhino #SaveFive

Raising Awareness to protect our #WildLife, Please take the pledge: I would like to join #TeamRhinodotorg in the fight against rhino poaching to ensure a future for people and vulnerable wildlife on our planet: I will never buy or promote any products made of rhino horn, as I know that demand drives poaching. I will be a committed advocate to support rangers and others on the frontlines of rhino conservation. I will share my passion about rhino conservation and recruit my friends and family to become involved. I will urge my government to continue championing efforts to stop rhino poaching at home and abroad. I will stand with IRF to help save rhinos from extinction. teamrhino.org

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Exposure Is Key 2016 Part 2


There was a two hour class on container gardening for pollinators held at Mander playground in Strawberry Mansion, that i wanted to take my grands to, but didn't feel that they would gain from the workshop as i would. My grands are two and four years of age, learning for them is done best when learning is fun. This particular workshop was a presentation by Audubon Pa.  and Gardening Coach Marcia Tate. We learned about pollinator plants and built a container full of the pollinator favorites!! This workshop was not for preschoolers.



Preparing my grandson for this workshop, i introduced them to pollinators first with oral conversation. The day of the workshop i took them to to visit pollinators and share their importance. Not looking for them to be experts on pollinators, (at least not now) but i do want to open their senses and have them learn about our ecological footprint.



When came time to attend the container gardening workshop from 6:30pm-8pm, the day had been a bit long for my babies and the rain added to the change in our plans. My oldest grandson didn't want to attend so they stayed home while i attended the workshop. When i learn something new, i try to find ways to share the knowledge. Returning home from the workshop with my container garden, allowed for more conversation and exploration on how we as a family are aware of our ecological footprints!!

we purchased "Giant Pop-Out Bugs" from The Academy of Natural Science store. i put the book on display, with their toys, instantly my youngest grandson ask what's that. i get the book and he looks at the pictures asking what's that? www.chroniclekids.com


blog on this workshop coming soon!!



David Wolfe
Page Liked · May 5 ·
LikeShow more reactionsCommentShare
Top Comments
66K66K
586 comments
58,190 shares
Comments
Christina Sinz
Christina Sinz As a teacher, I often hear, 'I send my child to school to learn!' That's true! But learning at home is equally important!!
Like · Reply · 308 · May 5 at 6:44pm
16 Replies
Kevin Double-s Baxter
Kevin Double-s Baxter The key word is "Only" I learnt life lessons from conversations with parents & older relatives & worked in the real world for years before returning to the classroom as a Teacher. School education alone could not & did not prepare me for such a responsibility.
Like · Reply · 65 · May 5 at 7:10pm
5 Replies
Andrea Wrasidlo Miller
Andrea Wrasidlo Miller Thank you! I love your messages! I'm a teacher and I truly wish other people would "get " this concept. We homeschool our own kids now because it leads to richer deeper experiences than test prep and pleasing one person for a "grade." Life is about traveling, exploring, talking, thinking, loving what you do...etc, etc, etc, but not worksheets and tests. My opinion only.
Unlike · Reply · 49 · May 5 at 9:33pm
15 Replies · 9 hrs
Justin Scarbrough
Justin Scarbrough I completely agree. a lot of parents now days rely on teachers at school to educate their children on life lessons. that is not a teachers job. Get involved with your kids and teach them what it means to be a good man or good woman and the meaning behi...See More
Like · Reply · 26 · May 5 at 7:36pm
1 Reply
Reece James Woods
Reece James Woods It's sad that people actually believe they have an education when they are merely institutionalised and ignorant. They'll learn.
Unlike · Reply · 20 · May 5 at 7:01pm
2 Replies
Terri Hughes
Terri Hughes Love love love this! Lets bring back the importance of parents being a child's first and longest teacher and stop putting all of the responsibility on public school teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment